Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Through Christ who strengthens me

So this week we had Elder Jeffery R Holland come and talk to us!!!  It was crazy. I sat front row because that's where they were sitting the Bass section of the choir and so I was probably like 15 feet from the prophet. We made eye contact on multiple occasions. nbd. So we also all got the opportunity to shake his hand! needless to say I have yet to wash that hand! I'll say im kidding for my mom and I'll leave it up to the rest of you to decided if I have actually washed my hand or not.
 
So since Jeffery R Holland doesn't speak any Portuguese he gave his talk in English and all the people who couldn't understand english had to wear headsets and some of the staff translated.
 
One of the things that Elder Holland said that really impressed me was, "don't waste a single second during your mission wondering, why is this so hard." And then something along the lines of The road to salvation goes through Gethsemane and how Gethsemane wasn't meant to be easy.
 
I'm going to be honest, when I was preparing for a mission everyone was telling me how hard they are and how difficult they can be at times. I would brush them off and think, "with God on my side, what can be difficult?" And before Elder Holland spoke most of our district fasted so that we could get the most out of listening. I can promise you that he talked about exactly what I needed to hear. This last week was probably one of the hardest weeks of my life. Yeah, God was there every single step of the way and yes, I know that Jesus went through everything that I went through. But the thought of giving up had crossed my mind probably 3 or 4 times. Every time I would think of giving up I would be reminded of Christ and how He suffered everything and how God knows exactly how I'm feeling. Have you ever tried to learn a language in 6 weeks? Even with the power of God its not easy. He could easily make it easy, but then what life lessons would I learn? how would I come out of this strengthened if all my oppositions and all my trials were made easy through the grace of God?  Elder Holland said don't pray for your trials and pains to be taken away, instead pray for strength. Pray that you will have the strength to overcome these trials. That really hit me hard.
 
I love God and I love all my trials and hardships. At night I thank God for all the things I've had to endure and ask that I can have strengh to do the same thing tomorrow and the next day, and the next day. I know God is helping me learn Portuguese, but he is not making it easy on me. haha
 
I love you guys and I am so thankful to have this opportunity to serve a mission.
 
Sorry I don't have alot of time today but thats my email. I will probably call home on Tuesday or Wednesday since I'm flying to Juiz de Fora or I might just email. I dunno. Love you guys like crazy -
 
Elder Hamm
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment